Nostalgic

Last Wednesday, my Mom found some old photos of my grandparents. FYI, they were both chemistry major in their university, and grandma was actually my grandpa's senior at that time. Not just any senior, she was the teaching assistant! Long story short, ever since they fell in love and decided to be in a relationship, they were inseparable. Like, when there's grandma, there's grandpa.

[ Grandpa's graduation ]

[ Blue arrow: grandpa (left) & grandma (right) in front one of the dorms ]

[ At the party ]

See? They're always side by side, wherever, whenever. Mom read one of grandma's entry in her diary, she said it's like reading a novel, one in which the couple is dreamy and incredibly romantic. She showed me, and yeah, it's not even a full page entry, only a couple of lines, but I felt like I had read the whole book.

It's such a coincidence that these photos were discovered when I'm currently waiting for my own graduation, which is a month away from now. They got me wondering, what was my grandfather doing after he graduated? Did he get a job straight away? Did he already know what he wanted to be/do in his life? Was life ever simple? Along with other questions that I will never know the answer.

But, the important thing is, it doesn't matter how things were in the past, or how things are now. We live in a different era, which leads to difference in problems, choices and the life we lead. Sure, my grandpa's answer could give me another perspective, some lessons and a precious memory. And some assurance that if he can get through life for 80 years, then so can I. But hey, my reality is now and I think, I should make the best out of it. Remembering my homeroom teacher's message in high school,

My beloved students...
SMA (or high school) is not an end. You still have duty to be accomplished. You must struggle for your future because there is no one who can change your life but you, however hard it is. You have to make improvement on what you have already done. Today must be better than yesterday. Hopefully you will be successful in facing all hardships laying ahead of you. Never give up in spite of many difficulties. I wish you luck. I love you from the deepest of my heart.

Love, your homeroom teacher,
...
p.s. 
Let me tell you, I did not realize the deep meaning behind those words, until I read it four days ago. When I read it four years ago, I was like, oh well yeah ok. Ugh, stupid high school kid.


Comments