Away in 2015

Yes, I've been away in 2015. It was a year full of trials, experiments, loss and self-discovery. I was preparing for my volunteer exchange abroad with AIESEC. I flunked in 2 subjects, was dealing with my grandfather's death, I was a mess. I found myself slowly drifting away, lost. 
Eventually, on the summer holiday, I went for my exchange to Thailand, to teach English to children in the rural areas for 6 weeks.

I hadn't the slightest idea of seeing myself to be a teacher. Yes, sometimes I taught my friends if they needed help, but it wasn't teaching, it's more like tutoring. I prayed so that I can be a good teacher, who's not only teaching English correctly, but also educating the children to do the right thing, to be a good human. The project was very important to me, it matters that I have to be a good teacher, and not to waste any of my time there. But I didn't know, that what I did, would mean so much for the children there. 

I was placed in Si Sa Ket Province, 7-8 hours away from Bangkok, very near to Cambodia. The weather was hot, and hotter, even when it rains. On my first day at school (it was in Kan Leung Village) I introduced myself unofficially to the seniors in junior high. Nobody understood anything I said. Awfully awkward, it was. I taught together with the English teacher, P Bum (who is very nice and kind) and another volunteer from Colombia, Nani, who arrived later on the 3rd week. We taught kindergarten to junior high. It was very hard at first, the kids wouldn't listen, not to mention naughty, and also very very shy, which make it hard to make them involved in class activities. Soon as I got to know the kids better I started to play with them, almost every after-school. We play volleyball and badminton (I'm bad at soccer, and most of the kids are really good athletes) and because I like to sing they often asked me to sing a song. I also taught the whole school the "Cups Song" from Pitch Perfect, and I grew to love the school, and the people around me, especially the kids. They made my days bright and meaningful. The sadness I had earlier that year from losing my grandfather slowly healed. 

Then I realized that these children are smart and energetic and sweet and kind, and that they deserves a chance to see that the world is not only the province that they had been living in. The only obstacle they have is language. The real aim of the project was not to make them fluent in English within 6 weeks, but to encourage them to speak English and open up their insights, to give them a chance to know another world.

I have never felt so loved by so many people all at once. One of my friends asked me, what do I get from my adventure in Thai? Why, well, experience, for sure. I found a home away from home. And a new family. And I met wonderful people from all over the world. And to live in the moment. And to believe, have faith in myself, that I can do something more for this world, for my country and my family and myself. Because we don't live in this world just for ourselves, but also for other humans. Those lessons, among the many other lessons I had during the stay in Thailand, are life's little lessons that money can't buy.

Comments